While our building may be closed, we’re delighted to offer as much reading and entertainment to kids and their families as we can this summer.
Our main services are going to be take-and-make craft bags and virtual programs.
Craft Bags: A new craft bag will be available each Wednesday at Summer Lunch Pickup, from 10:45am-11:30am outside the library (where Bert’s Food Truck usually is). To sign up for FREE Summer Meals, please visit: http://www.wsesu.org/covid-19-student-meals.html
After Summer Meals Pickup, the craft bags will be available outside the library’s front doors during pickup hours: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 10am-1pm. Supplies are limited, so please email Emily to reserve a bag if you do not participate in Summer Lunch Pickup: email@example.com
Craft Bag Schedule
- Wednesday, July 1st: Favorite Book Flags! Paint a fabric square with the image of your favorite book’s cover (or what YOU think the cover should have been!) Bring it back to the library to be sewn together with everyone else’s favorite books! These flags will fly from the library’s outdoor entry area pillars for the rest of the summer! Materials included: Paints, sharpie marker, fabric, instructions.
- Wednesday, July 8th: Comics Camp supplies!! Marek Bennet will teach us how to draw and assemble comics in our July 9th online Comics Camp. You can do a little warm-up by making a mini comic ahead of time. Materials include: pencils, erasers, inking pen, scissors, lots of blank paper, instructions, the link to Marek’s Comic Camp!
- Wednesday, July 15th: Fancy paper flowers! Summer is here and the flowers are blooming! Pick up some tissue paper flower supplies to make some of your own. Material include: tissue paper, stems, instructions.
- Wednesday, July 22nd: SLIME LAB!! Pick up your slime kit so you can delight and gross out your friends and family! Materials include: glue, slime activator, slime add-ins.
- Wednesday, July 29th: Bring back your bingo cards!! Craft to be announced!
Free books: 2 free books per child will be available at Summer Lunch Pickup on Wednesdays. If supplies allow, books will also be available outside the library’s front doors during pickup hours.
Summer Meals Pickup is also a time for other organizations to provide awesome fresh food for kids and their families. Take a look at the full schedule here:
Bingo Cards: Every child who would like to can also track their reading and enter to win one of our raffle prizes by doing so! Pick up your Bingo Card in front of the library or at Summer Meals Pickup. For every 5-in-a-row reading activities a child completes, they will have their name entered into the raffle for either a Magic Kit or a Make Your Own Erasers Kit.
Story Time! The wonderful Susan Hessey will be doing virtual story times through the Summer. Please subscribe to our newsletter to get the Zoom link and tune in: https://putneylibrary.org/sign-up-for-our-email-newsletter/
Comics Camp with Marek Bennet! Join comics artist, Marek Bennet, online on Thursday, July 9th from 1-3pm to make your own mini-comics, develop your characters and learn some comics drawing tricks and tips! All the materials for Marek’s class will be in Wednesday, July 8th’s Craft Bag! The link will be in the newsletter: https://putneylibrary.org/sign-up-for-our-email-newsletter/
**If you have any issue with internet at your house and can’t attend these programs virtually, please see Emily for a DVD version!**
Book Borrowing: The library is lending! Please write, call or ask Emily to get you copies of your desired books OR a surprise batch of new books that she picks our for your family based on age and interests. If you don’t yet have a card, we can fix that 🙂 Pickup days are Mondays, Wednsedays, and Fridays 10am-1pm.