September 15 – November 1, 2022
Putney Big Tree Quest launch event: Monday, Sept. 12, 6-7 pm, Putney Public Library
Putney Big Tree Quest wrap-up event: Tues, Nov. 15, 6-7 pm, Putney Public Library
American Elm – Apple – Basswood – Beech – Big-toothed Aspen – Bitternut Hickory
Black Birch – Black Locust – Black Walnut – Black Cherry – Butternut – Cottonwood
Gray Birch – Hemlock – Hop-hornbeam – Hornbeam (Musclewood) – Poplar – Red Maple
Red Oak – Red Pine – Red Spruce – Shagbark Hickory – Silver Maple – Striped Maple
Sugar Maple – Sycamore – Tamarack – White Ash – White Birch – White Oak
White Pine – Yellow Birch – Other
|TREE SIZE: submit tree circumference Grand Champion – tree with largest circumference|
Top Five Species Champions – the next top five species champions
|CREATIVE: submit photo or text |
Best Tree Pose – more points for imitating or otherwise enhancing the gesture!
Best Tree Face Superhost – largest number of species observed and documented on one tree
TreeTrek – longest (or most interesting) single-day human powered tree discovery expedition
Tree Art – Submit (a photo of) a piece of artwork (any medium) that features tree(s) as a theme
How to Participate
- Measure the circumference of the tree (a level line around the trunk) at 4.5 feet off the ground. Find
- Submit your entry (or entries) any of these 3 ways.
- Information and forms are available at the Putney Public Library and on the library website: www.putneylibrary.org
- Submit online at https://form.jotform.com/222408380354048
- Submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include:
- tree type
- circumference in inches
- Putney road near which the tree is located. Specific address is great, GPS coordinates even better (how to find GPS coordinates: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/drop-pin-google-maps-android-ios/
- Your name
- Your contact information (phone number/email)
- Optional: a photo of the tree
- Optional: a photo of you measuring the tree, to be used for publicity for the contest
- Follow the artful tree submission updates at the library, and through posts on the library Facebook page.
UP COMING EVENTS
Sunday, October 2nd, 7-8:30 am. Josh Fields, a landscape photographer from the Forest for Learning board, will give an informal photography workshop all about capturing unique and compelling autumn photos in the forest. Kids and adults alike are welcome, with any camera from a cell phone through dSLR! Learn to photograph subjects from the biggest of trees to the smallest of mushrooms, and everything in between.
The workshop will be informal, with information based on the needs and desires of attendees. We can talk about how to find unique landscapes large and small in a woodland area, ideal times of day and weather conditions, composition, exposure settings, using a tripod or making do without, and more!
All cameras are welcome – the best camera is the one that’s with you! Bring your camera phone, dSLR or film camera, and a tripod if you have it. Meet at Forest for Learning, 24 School Forest Drive, Putney.
Sign up on the Forest for Learning website: https://www.putneyforestforlearning.org/event-details/free-autumn-woodland-photography-workshop. See updates on the Forest for Learning Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1186553171745792
Big Tree Wander on October 8, 3-5 pm, at the Forest for Learning, 24 School Forest Drive, Putney. The Forest for Learning is partnering with Putney Big Tree Quest for a casual exploration of some areas in the Forest for Learning where you might find some particularly big trees. We can make no promises – you’ll still need to do some exploring! Come prepared with your measuring and documenting tools!
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/427222386175703Sign up on the Forest for Learning website: https://www.putneyforestforlearning.org/event-details/f4l-big-tree-wander
|By submitting an entry you give permission for your entry to be shared, unless you indicate otherwise. We welcome submission from those in the Putney area. Questions? Contact Evie Lovett + Paul Levasseur, email@example.com|